Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Gmail and Blogger

I already had a Gmail account so step one was easy. When I first started using Gmail it did take some adjustment to how Gmail does some things, such as labeling emails that you want to keep then archiving them (and it having to be selected to archive into the folders you've created) but now I love it! My favorite feature of Gmail - search. It's awesome to be able to search the emails for keywords to find an old message that I need to reference in order to answer a current question or refresh my memory.

Step 2 started out a bit confusing. The Beta testing is finished for Blogger so the set-up was slightly different than Robin described and the main page is full of computer-speak on all the wonderful new benefits of blogger, which for someone who has never used a blog before doesn't mean anything since the terms are unknown and yes, this is my first time to use a Blog. Actually setting up the page format was very easy. I was slightly surprised that there weren't more step by step instructions to check other settings under the different tabs so a new user would know that they could change things and how to change them.

I do like the spell check feature and italics, bold etc., and that they tell you the shortcut keys in case you can use in Blogger such as ctrl and "B" to Bold a word.

1 comment:

The Kelly Green Rogue said...

Thanks for pointing out the problem with blogger. I up dated our page on creating a blog so hopefully no one else runs into problems.

Congrats on creating your blog and adding links, it looks great.

You're right those technical terms probably are too confusing for new users, maybe later in the lessons they'll make more sense and you can revisit them.